My Favorite Way to Detox
Aug 10, 2017
What Are the Best Ways to Detox?
Honestly, when I think about going on a detox plan, I think of deprivation, not eating, or drinking nothing but juices. The thought of going on a detox program stresses me out! (Which would totally defeat the whole purpose of the program!)
I’m not talking about going on a strict juice diet, or depriving yourself. What are the most helpful ways to gently get your body humming again?
My hands-down favorite way to detox is…… Take an Epsom salt bath.
3 Reasons Why Epsom Salt Baths Are Important for Our Health
- Epsom Salt is hydrated magnesium sulfate. Most of us are actually deficient in magnesium.
- Magnesium is the 2nd most abundant element in our cells. Magnesium helps our bodies regulate over 325 different enzymes. These enzymes assist with muscle control, electrical impulses, energy production and the elimination of harmful toxins.
- In fact, magnesium deficiency has been linked to high rates of heart disease, stroke, osteoporosis, arthritis and joint pain, digestive maladies, stress-related illnesses, chronic fatigue and a number of other ailments.
Why are we deficient?
Our poor diets are to blame and our crops have lost over ½ the amount of magnesium present than what was there 20 or 30 years ago. Commercial agriculture and farming is stripping our soil of vital nutrients.
The other culprit is our increased supplementation of calcium. It works like this: calcium needs magnesium to function, but calcium depletes the body of magnesium. If you have too much calcium, you’ll actually deplete the body of both nutrients.
Can we just take magnesium pills?
Surprisingly, magnesium is not absorbed well through the digestive tract. The stomach acids that break down food also denature the magnesium’s effectiveness.
The best way to get magnesium is to absorb it through your skin. Hence, that’s why Epsom salt baths are so awesome, and the benefits are fantastic!
Here’s the benefits listed on the Epsom Salt Council’s web page:
- Improved heart and circulatory health, reducing irregular heartbeats, preventing hardening of the arteries, reducing blood clots and lowering blood pressure.
- Improved ability for the body to use insulin, reducing the incidence or severity of diabetes.
- Flushes toxins and heavy metals from the cells, easing muscle pain and helping the body to eliminate harmful substances.
- Improved nerve function by electrolyte regulation. Also, calcium is the main conductor for electrical current in the body, and magnesium is necessary to maintain proper calcium levels in the blood.
- Relieved stress. Excess adrenaline and stress are believed to drain magnesium, a natural stress reliever, from the body. Magnesium is necessary for the body to bind adequate amounts of serotonin, a mood-elevating chemical within the brain that creates a feeling of well-being and relaxation.
- Reduced inflammation to relieve pain and muscle cramps
- Improved oxygen use.
- Improved absorption of nutrients.
- Improved formation of joint proteins, brain tissue and mucin proteins.
- Prevention or easing of migraine headaches.
Recommended Way to Get The Benefits
To get all the benefits of magnesium, all you need to do as add 1-2 cups of Epsom Salt to a warm bath and soak for 12 minutes (or longer) 3 times a week.